Welcome to the Tea for Teal blog!

Thanks for reading! Here you'll find a random assortment of sewing projects, food, make-up reviews, the occasional book and movie review, my travels, and anything else that pops into my head!
If you like something please feel free to Follow Me on Pinterest

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Paper Tape Dress Form - Chapter 4

Paper Tape Dress Form - Chapter 4

The Stand

There is probably a lot better blogs out there talking about making a stand. Some say music stand, or make one with lumber from Home Depot, etc. I’ve even read about an old trombone stand and a birdcage. Basically you make a stand with whatever crap you have handy. I think a stand is much better than a hanging form, which just requires a really good hanger.

For me I work for a laser spa and one of our old rolling magnifying glass/lamps died, so I took it apart and used the heavy rolling base.



Here are my materials. I used the rolling stand base, two steel rods which are actually old file hanger insets (long story how I got these), and a reinforced paper tube. Get some strong tape too.

I taped the two steel rods together and stuck it down the hole in the stand. Then, I pre-cut a hole in the paper tube to go down on the steel rod.

Then I stuck the paper tube in the form across the shoulders and stuck the whole thing on the rod.

 


I had Ansell hold it in the right position, ie my height, while I taped it all together. The gorilla tape I used was so insanely strong that I didn’t have to use much.



Once it was taped I secured and reinforced all the joints with paper tape.

 


Annnnnnnndddd we are FINALLY done! TA-DA!



I was so happy to finish this. I didn’t enjoy making the stand and just wanted it to be done so I could get to the sewing.

Now we can really see how it looks compared to me!




It’s important to note that the sewing form won’t have your exact measurements; my form ranged from a ¼ inch to ¾ of inch bigger than I am, which is to be expected.

IN THE END...
My sewing form is my shape, my height, and pretty much my measurements, and it cost me $20 ($10 for papertape and $10 for two turtlenecks) and a total of 5 hours start to finish. It is so much better than a bought sewing form and I am SO EXCITED to start sewing!!!

Me and you and you and me
No matter how they sew the seam, it has to be
The only one for me is you, and you for me
So happy together!

1 comment:

  1. I guess we have to blame the marketers for being so creative and convincing.
    paper tubes

    ReplyDelete